Sunday 22 August 2010

August Break #22 The One That Got Away

My picture of the day is in my head!

It will be with me forever and is more a video than still photo.
It should've been a picture of this glorious plane.
(Picture above from http://www.mod.uk/)
The Avro Lancaster Bomber
From the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
(Picture above from BBMF)
It was on its way to here.

Which I didn't know anything about.

But it flew over our house 2 and a half times.

Really, really low.

I very nearly burst with excitement.

You see, sadly I am a bit of a plane freak/geek. I blame growing up in the shadow of Gatwick Airport. I am especially interested in Military planes and have a very large pile of books about them! That was one of the added extras of my Technical Librarian job, a lot of aviation-related stuff.

Honestly, I cannot believe what has happened; I even sent a little 'thank you' to Him upstairs! It was that special.

So, yes, a bit of a cheat with the photo, but hey-ho, there you go.

And she really is the one that got away. She is one of only two airworthy Lancasters, the other being in Canada apparently. So, I feel even more lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment