Thursday 9 October 2014

Sock It To Me

In what alternative Universe was I in, when I thought buying this book, (a bargainous £3.99 from TK Maxx), and having a go at knitting Japanese stitch inspired socks?
Knitted Socks East and West by Judy Sumner
 I am knitting the socks on the cover, 'Fuji', specifically because they were designed to be worn when doing a pedicure.
 
One of the 2 things that I kept doing all the time I was at my lowest ebb, (very low for a very long time!), I painted my toenails. I may not have bathed for a week or washed my hair forever, but my toenails where always dapper.
(The other thing was keeping all 'the paperwork' in order...bills, bank statements etc, all filed and tickety-boo.)
 
 
But I just can't get the 'hang' of this at all. Even when I hit a 'respite row' of just knitting every stitch, it drives me nuts!
 
To start with there are 4 needles, then you go down to 3. I bought a new set for the size and thought "what'll hold a lot, will hold a little". Big mistake as Julia Roberts says in Pretty Woman. Big, big mistake. Too much needle length. But having said that, when using two shorty needles from my stash, I am forever losing stitches off one end or the other.
 
You can see how thin the needles are next to the pencil above.

 
Also, I can't see the stitches very well with my varifocal specs, so when they drop off I just watch the rows unravel before my very eyes!
There IS a stitch pattern, but I've got to the point of if there is the right amount of stitches on each needle at the end of a row I'm happy.
 
Regia Design Line Ombre Stripe 4 Ply - Frost Colour (04480)bought from deramores
But, it is very beautiful yarn.
Designed by my beloved Kaffe Fassett.
 I am wondering, as the yarn is so lovely, that I should bypass the stitch pattern and just knit it up
 in plain knitting.
 
What do you think? Any ideas, please.
Zxx
 


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I used to knit a lot...Fair Isle, cable, my own designs, but I really fancied this! I really don't need anymore scarves or hats!!! I did a 'kerchief steamer scarf' earlier this year so that'll be my new addition for this year.
      I think plain sox will win out!
      Zxx

      Delete
  2. I love warm socks - the Japanese toe socks look interesting: wouldn't your toes get cold?

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, just so I can paint my toenails but keep my feet warm whilst I'm doing it!
      I do have some proper Japanese socks with toes that I had to wear when working with a Kabuki company. They're rather wonderful, fabric with separate toes and little hooks to close them on the sides.
      Zxx

      Delete
  3. I'm so utterly hopeless at knitting that I can barely follow patterns - I don't think I'd be able to manage these but I wish I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me ages to get the hang of knitting. Even now I've found a vid on youtube that where she casts on so differently to me and knits so differently that I am wondering if I have developed my own version!!
      Zxx

      Delete
  4. I really love that yarn but I wouldn't get further than knitting a scarf and even that would be a little off pattern!

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just using the stitch count and not the patterning. Gonna let the wool speak for itself!
      Zxx

      Delete